For further information regarding the organ or choir at St Mary’s please contact the Director of Music,
Jonathan Harris: 07791 664507 / Hjonathan83@aol.com
Choir website: http://www.choirofstmarythevirginfinedon.com/
Music of Dr William Croft
William Croft’s anthems ‘Praise God in His Sanctuary’, composed for the opening of the organ in St Mary’s, Finedon in 1717, and ‘Come all ye tuneful sisters’ written for Dr Dolben’s wedding in 1720, have now been published and are freely available to download from the website www.cpdl.org.
Transcriptions of these anthems were made from the original manuscripts held in the Bodleian and Royal College of Music libraries by Robert Page and Jonathan Harris with generous support and advice from Professor Donald Burrows, an expert on early-eighteenth century English music. Performances of these anthems took place in Finedon after the 2014 organ restoration on two occasions by visiting singers and Peterborough Cathedral Choir.
The complete organ works of William Croft will be heard over the next few weeks as some of the music played before our 9.30 am services.